What’s not to love about Seattle? Well, maybe the traffic, but is an abundance of amazing things about this city that more than make up being stuck crawling at a snail’s pace on the freeway. It’s great to be in a city that has all refinement of a world-class metropolis while at the same time being cradled in the majestic wilderness that is the Pacific Northwest. It’s truly the best of both worlds! Here is a list of some of our favorite activities in the Emerald City
1. Visit a museum: Seattle has so many museums you’ll be sure to find something to pique any interest. Here are some of the most popular ones for starters: Seattle Art Museum, Museum of Flight, Pacific Science Center, Experience Music Project, and the Chihuly Garden and Glass museum.
2. Take a ferry: For many people living in Seattle, riding the ferry is just part of the daily commute but there really is no better way to see the city skyline or the Puget Sound. Whether you’re taking a short trip to Bainbridge or Vashon Island or an extended adventure into the San Juans or even to Canada, your Seattle visit would not be complete without a ferry ride.
3. Ride the Ducks: Tour Seattle by land and by water in a WWII amphibious landing craft. The wacky captains are both knowledgeable and hilarious, in a cheesy sort of way. A favorite for families but fun for any age group, it’s a party on wheels that floats!
4. Check out the music scene: While often considered a mecca for punk and grunge music, Seattle has a rich musical history that includes jazz, folk, country, and hip hop. If you feel like getting down and dirty with the rockers, catch a show at the Crocodile or Neumo’s. For a less raucous experience, Dimitriou’s Jazz Alley and Tula’s are great venues.
5. Underground or ghost tour: For you history buffs, taking one of these interesting and informative tours is a great way to learn about Seattle’s storied history. The Underground tour takes you below the streets to explore the remnants of the city that existed before the Great Seattle Fire in 1889. The Market Ghost Tour has been named one of the 10 best in the US and is an entertaining mix of spooky, funny, and educational.
Are you planning a trip to Seattle? Click here to view all of our great downtown Seattle vacation rentals