The only US cities with larger populations than Chicago are New York and Los Angeles. In 2020, Chicago had around 2.75M residents. The city’s demographics were almost evenly split between Caucasians, African Americans, and LatinX. And the LGBTQ population is the third highest in the US. Let’s learn more about the city as we find the best vape shops in Chicago.
Best Vape Shops in Chicago
1. Vape312 River West
Chicago is the ‘Frenchified’ version of Zhigaagong in Ojibwe or Shikaakwa in Iranwa aka the Miami-Illinois language. It was the name of a wild onion-like or garlic-like plant that was common in the area, and which Robert de la Salle described as Checagou in a 1679 memoir.
- Name: Vape312 River West
- Address: 728 W Grand Ave, Chicago, IL 60654, United States
- Website: https://vape312rw.com
- Phone: +1 312-265-1014
- Hours: Monday to Saturday: 11 am to 9 pm; Sunday: 11 am to 6 pm
You know what else the French are known for? Their strong smoking culture. But today, we’re more interested in the synthetic nicotine that many people use to stop smoking. And Vape312 offers a welcoming environment for vaping veterans, first-timers, and casual vapes.
2. Sweet Puff Smoke Shop & Vape
The original inhabitants of Chicago were the Sauk and Fox Tribes, followed by the Miami Tribe, and finally the Potawatomi Tribe. These were all Native American communities, and the first known foreigner was Jean Baptiste Point du Sable, a Frenchman of African descent.
- Name: Sweet Puff Smoke Shop & Vape
- Address: 2839 N Clark St, Chicago, IL 60657, United States
- Website: https://www.instagram.com/sweetpuff.ch/
- Phone: +1 312-973-9461
- Hours: 10 am to 11 pm Daily
We don’t know much about this allegedly black Frenchman, but he was thought to be Haitian. So let’s focus on Sweet Puff instead. Its colorful selection includes vapes, tobacco products, water pipes, nicotine pouches, disposables, chargers, and chocolate CBD nugs.
3. Ivy Smoke & Vape
Considering Chicago has a more-or-less 30% split between white, black, and LatinX, why is the Native American population so small? Well, the Ojibwe, Ottawa, and Potawatomi were coerced to hand over their land in treaties then forced into reservations. It was federal policy.
- Name: Ivy Smoke & Vape
- Address: 1346 W Irving Park Rd Chicago, IL 60613
- Website: https://www.ivysmokeandvape.com
- Phone: (312) 684-5026
- Weekday Hours: Monday to Friday: 11 am to Midnight
- Weekend Hours: Saturday: 11 am to 11 pm; Sunday: Noon to 11 pm
That’s some heavy history and its effects are still playing out. Let’s pause for a moment of zen at Ivy Smoke & Vape. They stock vape mods, hookahs, glass bowls, and assorted smoking equipment. The shop also stocks vaping accessories like chargers, e-liquids, and cartridges.
4. Roots Smoke & Vapor Shop
Chicago has many nicknames, including the Windy City (due to its chilly weather), City of the Big Shoulders, and Chi-Town. Cook County is the seat of this midwestern locale, and despite destruction by the Great Fire of 1871, the city rose from the ashes and still thrives.
- Name: Roots Smoke & Vapor Shop
- Address: 2626 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago, IL 60647, United States
- Website: https://www.rootssmokeshop.com/
- Phone: +1 773-661-6238
- Hours: Monday to Saturday: 10 am to 9 pm; Sunday: 10 am to 7 pm
Speaking of fires, many vape shops double as smoke shops, and some even offer THC and CBD so you can light ‘em up. Also, while indoor anti-smoking laws generally include vapes, they allow smoking and vaping in designated shops like Roots Smoke & Vapor Shop. Enjoy!
5. Vape Daze
As the city was recovering from the fire, necessity forced city architects and planners to develop efficient construction styles and techniques. Innovations included skyscrapers with steel frames, the City Beautiful Movement, and the commercial style of the Chicago School.
- Name: Vape Daze
- Address: 2817 W Belden Ave, Chicago, IL 60647, United States
- Website: https://www.vapedazechi.com
- Phone: +1 773-270-2340
- Hours: Noon to 8 pm Daily
Many places now have indoor smoking bans. These buildings are equipped with sensitive smoke alarms and air quality monitors that can catch you vaping, so don’t risk it. The staff at Vape Daze can recommend places in the city where it’s safe and legal to puff your plumes.
6. Windy City Smokes
During the fire, lots of wooden structures were destroyed. So Chicago’s top architects came up with the idea of steel frames that could withstand future flames. These steel tubes also allowed buildings to go much higher, and Chicago built the world’s first skyscraper in 1885.
- Name: Windy City Smokes
- Address: 2466 N Clark St, Chicago, IL 60614, United States
- Website: https://www.yelp.com/biz/windy-city-smokes-chicago-2
- Phone: +1 773-697-7854
- Hours: Sunday to Thursday: 11 am to 9 pm; Friday to Saturday: 11 am to 10 pm
Vape mods can be designed in any shape or format, so you can find some that mimic skyscrapers. You can also find glass pipes that tower layer upon layer for the deepest hit of e-nicotine, tobacco, or CBD. But be sure to find a sheltered spot since you’re in the Windy City!
7. American Vapor Shop
The first ever skyscraper was – ironically – a Home Insurance Building. It had 10 floors high, later increased to 12 floors, and had 90% occupancy. And it passed the test of time since it never collapsed. Instead, it was torn down with 5 others for a bigger one by Marshall Fields.
- Name: American Vapor Shop
- Address: 1212 N Wells St, Chicago, IL 60610, United States
- Website: https://avwholesalellc.com
- Phone: +1 312-624-9110
- Weekday Hours: Mon to Wed: 8.30 am to Midnight; Thurs: 8.30 am to 1 am
- Weekend Hours: Fri to Sat: 8.30 am to 3 am; Sunday: 8.30 am to Midnight
American Vapor Shop is equally supportive of the high life. Their stacked shelves have increasingly tall glass pipes and water pipes, but they also have a wide range of e-juices, vape mods, and pod flavors in varying nicotine concentrations. They stock salts and freebase.
8. Mario’s Cigar and Vape
Another key development was the creation of the first comprehensive sewer system in the United States. It was designed by an engineer named Ellis Sylvester Chesbrough. His idea involved raising buildings with jackscrews so waste could flow under them and into the river.
- Name: Mario’s Cigar and Vape
- Address: 224 W 31st St, Chicago, IL 60616, United States
- Website: https://www.instagram.com/marioscigarvape/
- Phone: +1 312-526-3955
- Hours: Mon to Fri: 9 am to 9 pm; Sat: 10 am to 10 pm; Sun: 10 am to 6 pm
Speaking of sewers, lots of people recommend vaping or smoking in the bathroom to avoid triggering smoke alarms. But remember that your smoke and fumes will bounce off the tile surfaces, which means the scent of the nicotine and/or flavor will stick around a lot longer.
9. Smoke Depot
Chesbrough’s system seemed like magic, but raw sewage soon polluted the Chicago River and Lake Michigan, tainting the city’s fresh water. So they built water cribs to protect fresh water and redirected the Chicago River away from Lake Michigan to stop contamination.
- Name: Smoke Depot
- Address: 1646 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago, IL 60647, United States
- Website: https://www.instagram.com/officialsmokedepot/
- Phone: +1 773-661-9352
- Hours: 10 am to 10 pm Daily
Water does absorb scents as well as pollutants, so some folk find water pipes and hookahs to be safer than e-juice or tobacco. But you have to clean your pipe thoroughly and regularly. Also, bongs are far more fragile than vape pods, and you can’t carry hookahs in your pocket…
10. Vape & Smoke Shop
Chicago has one of the highest GDPs in the world and is a site of many firsts. We’ve already mentioned sewers, and futures contracts were invented here. O’Hare is often ranked among the world’s top six in terms of flight volume. And Chicago has the most federal highways.
- Name: Vape & Smoke Shop
- Address: 2250 N Lincoln Ave Ste 1s Chicago, IL 60614
- Website: https://www.yelp.com/biz/mr-vape-and-smoke-chicago
- Phone: (773) 697-7825
- Hours: Sunday to Wednesday: 11 am to 11 pm; Thursday to Saturday: 11 am to 3 am
Speaking of speed, vapes are a mild stimulant, but most people use them to relax or take the edge off. You can vape non-nicotine pods, use tobacco-free nicotine, or get cartridges infused with CBD, THC, Kava, Kratom, and other electronic product lines. Many are available online.
11. Smoking Amsterdam
Chicago was located near an inland port – the Mississippi River and the Great Lakes – and that helped it grow quite fast. In 1833, it only had 200 residents. By 1840, it had more than 6,000 permanent residents and was acknowledged as the world’s fastest-growing city for decades.
- Name: Smoking Amsterdam
- Address: 3414 N Sheffield Ave, Chicago, IL 60657, United States
- Website: https://www.yelp.com/biz/smoking-amsterdam-chicago
- Phone: +1 773-698-6658
- Hours: Sunday to Thursday: 11 am to 10.30 pm; Friday to Saturday: 11 am to 2 am
Amsterdam is another town built on water, though it’s halfway across the globe. That city is known for its liberal policies towards hemp and other vices, so it’s a good name for a vape and smoke shop. This Chicago location pays homage to the original and has a huge selection.
12. Smoke Valley
The inland port and vibrant rail system positioned Chicago as the central hub between the East and West of the US. By 1900, this meeting point of steamships and railroad carriages attracted foreign settlers from Germany, Ireland, Poland, Switzerland, and Czechoslovakia.
- Name: Smoke Valley
- Address: 1625 N Clybourn Ave, Chicago, IL 60614, United States
- Website: https://smoke-valley.com
- Phone: +1 312-374-3986
- Hours: Monday to Saturday: 10 am to 10 pm; Sunday: 10 am to 9 pm
Vaping is a modern vice that brings together people from just as many countries. E-cigarettes were invented in 2003 in China. Most are still manufactured there, although they’re branded and marketed in other countries. Just check the local vaping laws, especially while traveling.
13. Smoke Station
Today, Chicago is known as a political powerhouse, especially in the black community. But even back then, the city played a role in race matters. Two famous names include Stephen Douglas and Abraham Lincoln, both from Illinois. Lincoln was first nominated in Chicago.
- Name: Smoke Station
- Address: 2627 N Kedzie Ave, Chicago, IL 60647
- Website: https://smokestationchicago.com
- Phone: (773) 697-8760
- Hours: Monday to Saturday: 10 am to 10 pm; Sunday: 11 am to 10 pm
As long as we’re talking politics, take note of the new synthetic nicotine restrictions passed in April 2022. But while vapes and tobacco are being restricted, rules around THC and CBD are loosening, so it’s worth passing by a smoke shop that stocks nugs, wax, oils, and cartridges.
Did we neglect any of the best vape shops in Chicago? Remind us in the comments below!