Vacation Packing List: 18 Items Guests Forget
Vacation rentals are quickly becoming the new go-to over hotels. No matter how long you’re staying, the benefits of having an entire home – not just four walls and a bed in a hotel – are pushing many travelers off the fence and into a boutique hospitality experience like Stay Alfred.
But not all vacation rentals are created equal. We here at Stay Alfred completely understand that if you’ve never booked an AirBNB or other vacation rental via some of those *other* companies that shall remain nameless, there’s a certain level of unease when you just simply don’t know what to expect. We’re here to ease those fears and empower you so you feel like the boss you are when you walk through that front door.
Why Book A Vacation Rental in The First Place?
First things first – why in the heck would you book a Stay Alfred? We’re glad you asked. The very obvious answers are vacation and business travel. But sometimes life calls for a home-away-from-home – and we got you covered:
- Moving to a new city? Relocation is easier when you get a feel for your new city in some temporary downtown digs.
- Have one of those fancy jobs where you’re sometimes on temporary assignment? Kudos, those gigs rule. You’ll be glad you booked a Stay Alfred and aren’t living within those four walls of your hotel room.
- Remodeling your home or need to tent it for buggy intruders? Find that silver lining in a staycation downtown.
- Scoping a college campus with the kiddo? Book a two-bedroom Stay Alfred and get a break from any teenage attitude.
But the better question might be why wouldn’t you want your own full kitchen, washer/dryer, enough space and rooms for everyone, plus access to some truly awesome building amenities, like a full gym, rooftop pool, etc.?
Stay Alfred is creating a new genre in the vacation home world, providing a hybrid hotel/condo boutique hospitality experience for our guests. And, though it’s new, we want you to feel confident interacting with us – from booking through check out and beyond. Part of the boutique guest service we offer is preparing you for what to expect when you open the door at your first Stay Alfred.
The majority of questions we receive prior to check-in are from people wondering about what’s stocked in the bathroom and kitchen. This info is no secret – so first up, here’s a Stay Alfred vacation rental packing list for everything you DO NOT need to pack – these are items we provide in every unit:
Bathroom: – Don’t Forget to Pack Your Toiletries
- Towels – yes, all those towels you’ve grown to know and love (bath towels, hand towels, washcloths) show up to the part
- Toilet paper – I mean, it would just be cruel to make you BYOTP
- Travel-sized bar soap, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion – because being clean is cool
- Hair dryer – yes! Save that space in your suitcase (aka this totally justifies buying more mementos).
Kitchen: – Save Money By Eating In
- Cutting board – no longer do you have to pack that bulky wood cutting board!
- Mixing bowls – for those amazing meals you’ll make after a visit to the local farmers market
- Strainer – veggies, fruit, defrosting – this holey bowl makes things a whole lot easier
- Coffee maker, coffee, cream/sugar packets and coffee filters – because COFFEE
- Toaster – how else are you going to make that avocado toast (wait, is that still a thing?)
- Bottle opener, corkscrew and pitcher – for when it’s vacation-mode o’clock
- Baking dishes, pots and pans and a cookie sheet – get creative in the kitchen and then get to bragging with #stayalfred
- Tea kettle and tea bag selection – pairs perfectly with the couch, blanket and Netflix – please bring your own chill
- Dinnerware, silverware and glassware – we believe in civilized eating habits
- Dish soap, dishwasher detergent and sponges – one, two, three – not it!
- Paper towels, a trash can with extra bags, and zip plastic bags – please practice safe storage
- Tools for days: knife block, can opener, grater, ice cream scoop, ladle, measuring cups, measuring spoons, pasta fork, pot holders, slotted spoon, spatula, serving spoon, tongs, turner, vegetable peeler, whisk – we think you get the picture at this point
Master Bedroom Closet Extra Treasures:
- Box fan – great for white noise (if you’re one of those people) or, you know, cooling down
- Broom/dust pan – in case you need to keep the kids busy
- Iron and ironing board – when a wrinkled wardrobe just won’t do
- Hangers – from collared shirts to club couture – we got you covered
- Pack N Play – parents rejoice!
- Vacuum – did your travel zen garden break? Not a problem
Now here comes the common sense, 100% non-patronizing part: if you’re staying for an extended period of time, or if you’re staying with a group, you might need to re-up on a few of these items that you regularly use like TP, soap, coffee, detergent, etc. All of our Stay Alfreds are located within walking distances of a market or grocery store.
Reminder: you do have an in-unit washer and dryer so you can wash linens and towels as needed. As always, if you have any questions at any time, our Guest Services team is here for you 24/7 at 866.232.3864.
And now here comes the disclaimer part – we have an amazing Operations team in each city that does a quality control check of each unit, but sometimes our guests 100% accidentally/forgetfully hang on to items after check out. Missing that bottle opener or box fan? Contact Guest Services any time.
So what exactly is on your vacation rental packing list? In a nutshell, any speciality things you’ll want or need in order to feel at home. We went ahead and did you the solid of making an optional list below:
Stay Alfred Vacation Rental Packing List – 18 Items Guests Forget:
- Aluminum foil and plastic wrap – leftovers still taste great when on vacation
- Groceries – all Stay Alfreds are within walking distance of a market or grocery store.
- Speciality kitchen items – planning on making a Baked Alaska or Beef Wellington? We recommend making a plan and packing any special tools you’ll need for your meal masterpieces
- Extra plastic bags – garbage, ZipLoc, freezer, Target bags – these guys just come in handy
- Disposable plates, glasses and utensils – for the guest who doesn’t want to clean a single dirty dish
- Reusable water bottle – it’s important to stay hydrated and not stay thirsty, my friends
- Toys and games – for those nights when you just want to stay in and get your competition on
- Chargers – camera, phone, computer, Kindle – stay plugged in
- TV stick – Stay Alfred TVs have HDMI capabilities – bring that AppleTV or Roku stick
- Portable Bluetooth speaker – like you’re not already building that vacation playlist
- Beach towels – our units have bath towels, but if you plan on using a pool, you’re gonna need a bigger towel
- Wifi range extender – all units have solid Wifi – this is a just-in-case
- House slippers – if you regularly wear these at home you might want to pack, many of our modern Stay Alfreds feature wood and cement flooring
- Momentos from home – if you’re doing a long-term stay with us, feel free to bring pics of the fam or pets to curb any homesickness
- Portable phone charger – we know the scenario: you’re out all day exploring the city and snapping pics and taking video. You’re miles from home but you’re losing juice – bring a charged and portable phone charger in your day bag in case you’re running low.
- 6-plug wall outlet – traveling with a group? Make it easier for everyone to charge their tech by increasing the available outlets.
- Plug-in night light – if your kiddos sleep with a night light – or if you just want a little extra light maneuvering your way around a new space, these are great to have on hand.
- Your dirty laundry – probably our most unexpected rec, but if you ran out of time to do all that laundry you wanted to bring on your trip – never fear. Your Stay Alfred comes with a washer and dryer in the unit.
And just because we want to make this as no-brainer as possible – below are packing lists (Including Our Printable Packing List) to inspire when you swear that open, empty suitcase is mocking you:
Printable Packing List
- Sweater or Sweatshirt
- Workout gear
- First Aid Kit
- Hydrocortisone Cream
- Insect Repellent
- Motion Sickness Medicine
- Pain Reliever
- Prescription Medications
- Comb or Brush
- Hair Ties
- Razor and Shaving Cream
- Shampoo and Conditioner
- Body wash
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
Our goal is to have your Stay Alfred truly feel like your place in the city. We also want you to be confident throughout the entire process; not sure if the bathroom includes a hair straightener? (It doesn’t.) Or if the kitchen will have a whisk? (It does.) Our Guest Services team knows each and every of our units inside and out. In the meantime, happy packing!