Whether you enjoy urban adventures or exploring nature, or both, you can always find plenty of exciting and fun activities in Portland. Here is a list of some of our favorite things to do when we visit Stumptown:
- Hug A Tree: Portland prides itself on its green spaces and residents love to spend time in the city’s many parks. The most popular is Forest Park, the largest urban park in the country covering more than 5,100 square miles with over 70 miles of trails for hiking, biking, and horseback riding.
- Ride A Bike: Whether you want to take a guided tour or just explore on your own, the best way to experience Portland is from a bicycle seat. Cycle Portland and Waterfront Bikes are two companies that offer tours and rent out a wide variety of bikes which include a helmet, a lock, and a handy map.
- Go To The Market: The Portland Saturday Market (also open Sundays) located on the waterfront under the Burnside Bridge and the Portland Farmers Market located on the PSU campus are popular places for locals and tourists alike. At the Saturday Market you can find a wide variety of handmade crafts and food carts, while the Farmer’s Market has nearly every type of produce you can imagine.
- Take A Brewery Tour: There are over 50 breweries in Portland, quite possible the most of any city in the world, which can make deciding which to visit a daunting task. Luckily the good people at Brewvana are happy to drive you and your friends around on their awesome party bus and show you the inner workings of their favorite establishments. You even get snacks and souvenirs!
- Sample The Food Carts: The food cart may not have been invented in Portland but it was definitely perfected here. Just like fish and teenagers, food carts often hang out in groups (known locally as “pods”) which makes it easy to find something you like or sample a little bit of everything. The largest of these pods is located downtown on SW Alder St. and SW 10th St.