Pittsburgh. The land of bridges, sammiches and true grit. Oh, and it also happens to be one of the best sports towns in the nation - home to the Steelers, Penguins, Pirates, and the entirety of Black and Gold nation.
Steel City has a distinct sports culture that is unabashedly loud and proud of their home teams. Never visited before? Allow us to give you a few pointers to help you blend in with the Pittsburghese:
- It’s pronounced “Stillers” - not “Steelers”
- That baseball team? Yeah, you can call them the Bucs
- Do not, we repeat, do not openly cheer for the Bears during a Stillers game
- Similar note, good luck if you’re rooting for any Philly team
- Attending a Penguins / Flyers game - get ready for a wild ride
- Don’t leave your Stay Alfred without your terrible towel
- When in doubt wear black and gold
Plan on attending a game? Lucky you that you scored tickets! Next step - getting there. Double lucky you that both Stay Alfred at The Venue and Stay Alfred at 1627 on the Strip are less than a 10-minute rideshare from all of the sports stadiums:
- PPG Paints Arena where the Penguins play
- Heinz Field where the Steelers play
- PNC Park where the Pirates play (a 10-minute walk from Stay Alfred at The Venue)
Didn’t score tickets to a live game? Well we have the next best thing. Since Pittsburgh is such a sports town it only makes sense that they boast some of the best sports bars. Here's a list of favorite places to root for the hometown heroes with Black and Gold nation:
Redbeard’s on Sixth - everything you want in a sports bar: great pub food, tons of big-screen TVs at all angles and cheap drink specials during game days.
Jerome Bettis’ Grille 36 - Former Steelers half-back Jerome “The Bus” Bettis opened up this really great place located near Heinz field. Perfect to pre-game or watch a game - big menu, but we recommend the Deep Fried Cheeseburger.
The BeerHive - If you’re looking for variety when drinking a beer or two while watching the game, head on over to the Beerhive. With more than 100 different bottled beers, bomber bottles, growlers and 12 taps - they make it easy to stay hydrated on game day.
Buford’s Kitchen - Located literally across the street from PPG Paints Arena, this is your place to watch some great hockey and enjoy southern classics like Hot Chicken or a Shrimp Po’Boy. It’s also the Official Away Game Headquarters for the Penguins!
Let us know what you get up to in Steel City - share your sports victories and adventures with #stayalfred.